Vadim M. Rozin
Institute of Philosophy, Russian Academy of Sciences
Thoughts, initiated by reading Vladimir Kutyrev’s book “The Owl of Minerva Takes Its Flight Only at Dusk”
Abstract.In this article the author aims to analyze Vladimir Kutyrev’s latest book, referring to his works for the second time. The first time Vadim Rozin gave a review in the journal “Voprosy Filosofii” (Questions of Philosophy) concerning the other Kutyrev’s book “Being and Nothing”. In this case, the author claims that the discourse in the recent book is difficult to label as scholarly. Substantiating this assertion, Rosin analyzes the concepts of “being” and “non-existence”, demonstrating that their use cannot be attributed either to the Parmenides’ tradition or to Martin Heidegger’s tradition. These and many other Kutyrev’s concepts are more like literary expressions. Rosin also opposes Kutyrev’s interpretation of the role of technology in contemporary culture, as well as his negative evaluation of the works by such philosophers as Kant, Husserl, Mikhail Bakhtin, and Georgy Shchedrovitsky. Relying on his own scholarship in science and technology, Rosin gives assessment to the negative consequences of scientific and technological development and outlines the scenario for the emergence of a new civilization and culture, within which these consequences are likely to be minimized.
Keywords: being, non-being, reality, technique, creativity, science, philosophy, metaphor, catastrophe, culture.
- Aristotle. Nikomahova etika [Nicomachean Ethics]. In: Aristotle. Sobranie sochinenii [Collected Works], in 4 volumes, vol. 3 / A.N. Dovatur (transl.). Moscow: Mysl, 1983, pp. 55‒293. (In Russian)
- “Artificial Intelligence and the Game of the Century – Kasparov vs. Deep Blue with Garry Kasparov, Michael Hawley”, Chess.co.uk, 9 March 2017. Available at: https://www.chess.co.uk/artificial-intelligence-game-century-kasparov-vs-deep-blue-garry-kasparov-michael-hawley/ (accessed on: 27.04. 2018)
- Asmus V. F. Istoriya antichnoj filosofii [History of ancient philosophy]. Moscow: Higher School, 1965. 320 p. (In Russian)
- Kutyrev V.A. Bytie ili Nichto [Being or Nothing]. St. Petersburg: Aleteya, 2010. 496 p. (In Russian)
- Kutyrev V.A. Sova Minervy vyletaet v sumerki (Izbrannye filosofskie teksty XXI veka) [The Owl of Minerva Takes Its Flight at Dusk (Selected Philosophical Texts of the 21st Century)]. St. Petersburg: Aleteya, 2018. 526 pp. (In Russian)
- Parmenides. Iz poemy o prirode [From the Poem On Nature] / M. Gasparov (transl.). In: M.L. Gasparov (ed.), Ellinskie poety VIII—III vv. do n.eh. Epos, eleghiya, yamby, melika [Hellenic Poets of the VIII — III Century BCE. Epos, Elegy, Iambs, Melic]. Moscow: Ladomir, 1999, pp. 178–182. (In Russian)
- Rozin V.M. V.A. Kutyrev «Bytie i Nichto» [Being and Nothingness], Voprosy filosofii, 2011, no 2, pp. 182–187. (In Russian)
- Rozin V.M. Filosofiya tekhniki [Philosophy of technology.]. 2nd ed. Mos-cow: Publishing house Yurayt, 2018. 296 p. (In Russian)