Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod
Subject and forestalling. To the question of phenomenon of television
Abstract. The article focuses on the interpretation of phenomenon of television, given in prof. Anton N. Fortunatov’s book “Ego-media. Social-philosophical Touches to the History of Television”, and in particular on the idea of forestalling as an ability of an object to be reconstructed with the help of technical means as an object of reality anticipated by human visual perception. On the basis of the ideas of Pierre Bourdieu, Patrick Champagne and Slavoj Žižek, the author suggests three situations and three models of forestalling: (1) forestalling of the journalist who creates the report (construction of quasi-reality on the basis of media), (2) “reality in movement” or a story about the event as it is from different viewpoints of the participants (when forestalling has to coincide with viewers’ expectations), (3) forestalling of viewers who enable to “speak from their name”, shifting their knowledge and emotions to the things they are expecting to watch (interpassivity). The paper concludes about forestalling as a category which installs the link between technical means, (quasi)reality and the subject who is forestalling.
Keywords: forestalling, social construction, quasi-reality, interpassivity.
The reported study was funded by RFBR according to the research project No. 18–011-00335.
- Barthes, R. Mifologii [Mythologies], transl. by S. Zenkin. Moscow: Akademicheskiy Proyekt Publ., 2017. 351 pp. (In Russian)
- Bourdieu, P. O televidenii i zhurnalistike [On Television and Journalism], transl. by T.V. Anisimova, Yu.V. Markova. Moscow: Fond nauchnykh issledovaniy “Pragmatika kultury”, Institut eksperimentalnoy sotsiologii, 2002. 160 pp. (In Russian)
- Fortunatov, A.N. Ego-media. Sotsialno-filosofskie shtrikhi k istorii televideniya [Ego-media. Social-philosophical Touches to the History of Television]. Moscow: Flinta Publ., 2018. 174 pp. (In Russian)
- Godard, J.-L. Pismo Dzheyn Fonde [A Letter to Jane Fonda], Seans, 2007, no. 32. Available at: https://seance.ru/n/32/shockumentary/pismo-dzheyn-fonde/ (accessed on October 20, 2018). (In Russian)
- Champagne, P. Delat mneniye: novaya politicheskaya igra [Doing Opinion: A New Political Game], transl. and ed. by N.G. Osipova. Moscow: Socio-Logos Publ., 1997. 317 pp. (In Russian)
- Zizek, S. Interpassivnost, ili Kak naslazhdatsya posredstvom Drugogo [Interpassivity or How to Enjoy Through the Other], transl. by A. Smirnov, ed. by V. Mazin, G. Rogonyan. Saint Petersburg: Aleteya Publ., 2005. 156 pp. (In Russian)