Anastasia A. Kudryavtseva
National Research University Higher School of Economics
Power relations between human and machine
Abstract. The paper considers power relations through a possession by subject of information about the object of power in context of the emerging trend to implement dominion by informational means rather than by force methods. In comparing two patterns ‘Human – state’ and ‘Human – machine’, the author concludes that this approach is objective in the conditions of advanced technologies of observing and accumulating information. She considers power relations between Human and technology in a historical aspect and distinguishes certain stages, which are referred to as follows: ‘Human – tool’, ‘Human – pet’, ‘Human – creation’, ‘Human – Human’, ‘Human – God’. The author traces the evolution of anthropocentric idea by illustrating it through the pattern of ‘Human – machine’ and analyzes the perspective of shifting to a technocentric idea.
Keywords: power, human, machine, information, technology, anthropocentrism, technocentrism, second nature, psychology of a new human
- Akimova, A. Ju. Jeffektivnost dejatelnosti rabotnikov s raznymi tipami doverija tehnike (na primere rabotnikov lokomotivnykh brigad) [The Effectiveness of Workers’ Activities with Different Types of Trust in Technology (On the Example of Employees from Locomotive Crews)]: doctoral diss. for Cand. of Psych. Sc. Moscow: IP RAN, 2013. 190 pp. (In Russian)
- Foucault, M. Nadzirat i nakazyvat. Rozhdenie tjurmy [Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison] / transl. [from French] by V. Naumov. Moscow: Ad Marginem Publ., 1999. 480 pp. (In Russian)
- Leary, T. Interpersonal Diagnosis of Personality: A Functional Theory and Methodology for Personality Evaluation. Eugene, OR: Resource Publications, 2004. (Original work published 1957). 538 pp.
- Pavlov, A.V. Obrazy sovremennosti v XXI veke: didzhimodernizm: retsenziya na knigu Alana Kirbi [Images of Modernity in the Twenty-First Century: Digimodernism: A Review of Alan Kirby’s Book], Filosofiya. Zhurnal Vysshey shkoly ekonomiki, 2018, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 197–212. DOI: 10.17323/2587–8719-2018-II-2–197-212. (In Russian)
- Shang Yang. Kniga pravitelja oblasti Shan [The Book of Lord Shan] / transl [from Chinese] by L.S. Perelomov. Moscow: NIC Ladomir Publ., 1993. 391 pp. (In Russian)