Perm State Institute of Culture
Socio-cultural challenges of the digital age
Abstract. The article deals with the impact of digital technology on all spheres of modern life. Transparency and preservation of all digital traces create new conditions for the life of society and set new formats of social relations. In connection with these processes and the need to develop the digital economy, in order to increase global competitiveness in Russia in the last few years, a number of policy documents, aimed at the development of the digital environment and the involvement of the expert community of central universities and research institutes in this process, have been approved. At the same time, it is necessary to note the risks of such an approach that excludes expert assessment, reflection, and prediction of the effects that new technologies might produce. This article focuses on the need for a broader assessment and discussion by the humanitarian scientific community of socio-cultural challenges faced by society on the threshold of the widespread introduction of digital technology (artificial intelligence, the Internet of things, virtual, mixed and augmented reality technologies, the collection and analysis of big data, digital traces and personal identification).
Keywords: digitalization, social communications, virtualization, humanitarian expertise, Internet, big data
- Gosudarstvennaja programma “Strategija razvitija informatsionnogo obshhestva Rossijskoj Federatsii na 2017–2030 gody” [Information Society Development Strategy for the Russian Federation for 2017–2030]. Decree of the President of the Russian Federation no. 203 dated May 9, 2017. Available at: http://www.kremlin.ru/acts/bank/41919 (accessed on July 7, 2018). (In Russian)
- Gosudarstvennaja programma “Tsifrovaja jekonomika Rossijskoj Federatsii” [The State Program “Digital Economy of the Russian Federation.”]. Approved by the Government of the Russian Federation Order no. 1632-p, dated July 28, 2017. Available at: http://static.government.ru/media/files/9gFM4FHj4PsB79I5v7yLVuPgu4bvR7M0.pdf (accessed: 21.06.2018). (In Russian)
- Gosudarstvennyj proekt “Sovremennaja tsifrovaja obrazovatelnaja sreda Rossii” [Modern Digital Educational Environment of Russia]. Approved by the Presidium of the Presidential Council for Strategic Development and Priority Projects under the President of the Russian Federation (Report no. 9 dated October 25, 2016). Available at: http://static.government.ru/media/files/8SiLmMBgjAN89vZbUUtmuF5lZYfTvOAG.pdf (accessed: 04.07.2018) (In Russian)
- Bashirov, T.A. Nelineynoye myshleniye i gumanizm v sovremennom obshchestve [Nonlinear Thinking and Humanism in Modern Society], Manuskript, 2018, vol. 95, no. 9, pp. 55–58.
- Bringing Big Data to the Enterprise, IBM. Available at: https://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/bigdata/what-is-big-data.html (accessed 11.07.2018).
- Everett, A. Digitextuality and Click Theory: Theses on Convergence Media in the Digital Age, in: New Media: Theories and Practices of Digitextuality / ed. by A. Everett, J. Caldwell. New York: Routledge, 2003, pp. 1–28.
- Koneva, A.V. “Podiumnoye soznaniye” v epokhu kultury razlichiya, Trudy Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta kultury i iskusstv, 2009, vol. 189, iss. 4, pp. 53–58.
- Lisenkova, A.A. Novye media: ot Web 1.0 k semanticheskoj pautine Web 4.0 [New Media: From Web 1.0 to the Web 4.0 Semantic Web], Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta kultury i iskusstv, 2018, no. 1 (81), pp. 110–118. (In Russian)
- Manovich, L. The Language of New Media. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 2002. 400 pp.
- Rainie, L, Wellman, B. Networked. The New Social Operating System. Cambridge, MA; London: MIT Press, 2012. 358 pp.
- Stephens-Davidowitz, S. Vse lgut. Poiskoviki, Big Data i Internet znajut o vas vse [Everybody Lies: Big Data, New Data, and What the Internet Can Tell Us About Who We Really Are] / transl. [from English] by L.I. Stepanova. Moscow: Eksmo Publ. 2018. 384 pp. (In Russian)
- Struktura programmy. Sistema upravleniya realizatsiyej Programmy “Tsifrovaya ekonomika Rossiijskoij Federatsii” [The structure of the program. Management system for the implementation of the Digital Economy of the Russian Federation Program]. Available at: https://data-economy.ru/organization (accessed on June 8, 2018). (In Russian)
- Schwab, K. Chetvertaja promyshlennaja revoljutsija [The Fourth Industrial Revolution] / transl from English. Moscow: Je Publ., 2017. 208 pp. (In Russian)
- Turkle, S. Alone Together. Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other. New York: Basic Books, 2011. 384 pp.