Liana A. Tukhvatulina
Institute of Philosophy, Russian Academy of Sciences
On the status of universal rationality
Abstract. The author considers interdisciplinary tendencies in the social sciences in the context of the idea of universal rationality. She discusses the concept of moderate unificationism in the philosophy of science by Philip Kitcher. The author provides some arguments against the concept of universal ra-tionality by Ralph Wedgwood. She argues that the key disadvantage of Wedgwood’s project is that it pays too much attention to one’s mental states. However, the author claims that the mental states reduction is an unnecessary step for the reconstruction of one’s rationality. Meanwhile, she suggests a way to consider rationality within the jux-taposition of its normative, individual and institutional aspects.
Keywords: rationality, moderate unificationism, Wedgwood, Kitcher, universalism, objectivism
- Hirshleifer, J. The Expanding Domain of Economics, The American Economic Review, 1985, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 53–68.
- Illarionov, S.V. Teoriia poznaniia i filosofiia nauki [Theory of Knowledge and Philosophy of Science]. Moscow: ROSSPEN Publ., 2007, 535 pp. (In Russian)
- Kasavin, I.T. Epistemologiia dobrodetelei: k sorokaletiiu povorota v analiticheskoi filosofii [Virtue Epistemology: On the 40th Anniversary of the Turn in Analytical Philosophy], Epistemologiya i filosofiya nauki /Epistemology & Philosophy of Science, 2019, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 6–19. (In Russian)
- Kitcher, P. Unification as a Regulative Ideal, Perspectives on Science, 1999, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 337–348.
- Mäki, U. Symposium on Explanations and Social Ontology: Explanatory Ecumenism and Economics Imperialism, Economics and Philosophy, 2002, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 235–257. DOI:10.1017/S0266267102002031.
- Shvyrev, V.S. Ratsionalnost kak filosofskaia problema [Rationality as a Philosophical Problem], in: V.S. Shvyrev, V.A. Lektoskiy (eds.), Ratsionalnost kak predmet filosofskogo issledovaniia [Rationality as a Matter of Philosophical Research]. Moscow: IF RAN Publ., 1995, pp. 3–20. (In Russian).