Artemiy R. Kurbanov
Lomonosov Moscow State University
Digitalization in healthcare: New opportunities and old problems
Abstract. The paper considers the use of digital technologies in healthcare, primarily in the framework of digital epidemiology. It suggests an overview of significant projects in this area, including Google Dengue Trends web services (GDT) and Google Flu Trends (GFT), GIDEON, as well as digital mapping of the distribution of various diseases. The author shows that the development of digital technologies in healthcare should be accompanied by complex socio-economic transformations in order to overcome the inequalities in access to medical services that exist between residents of different countries and regions.
Keywords: digital technologies, disease mapping, digital epidemiology, socio-economic inequality, Big Data
- Buhi, E. R. Digital Health and AJPH: The Time Has Come! American Journal of Public Health, 2015, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 420. DOI:10.2105/AJPH.2015.302585.
- Eckhoff, P.A., Tatem, A.J. Digital Methods in Epidemiology Can Transform Disease Control, International Health, 2015, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 77–78. DOI:10.1093/inthealth/ihv013.
- Hay, S.I., Battle, K.E., Pigott, D.M., Smith, D.L., Moyes, C.L., Bhatt, S., Brownstein, J.S., Colliers, N., Myers, M.F., George, D.B., Gething, P.W. Global Mapping of Infectious Disease, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences, 2013, vol. 368, no. 1614, article ID: 20120250. DOI:10.1098/rstb.2012.0250.
- Martynenko, T.S., Vershinina, I.A. Digital Economy: The Possibility of Sustainable Development and Overcoming Social and Environmental Inequality in Russia, Espacios, 2018, vol. 39, no. 44. Available at: http://www.revistaespacios.com/a18v39n44/a18v39n44p12.pdf (accessed on May 5, 2019).
- Salathe, M. Digital Epidemiology: What Is It, and Where Is It Going? Life Sciences, Society and Policy, 2018, vol. 14, no. 1, article number: 1. DOI:10.1186/s40504-017‑0065-7.
- Strauss, R.A., Castro, J.S., Reintjes, R., Torres, J.R. Google Dengue Trends: An Indicator of Epidemic Behavior. The Venezuelan Case, International Journal of Medical Informatics, 2017, vol. 104, pp. 26–30. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2017.05.003.
- Wesolowski, A., Eagle, N., Tatem, A.J., Smith, D.L., Noor, A.M., Snow, R.W., Buckee, C.O. Quantifying the Impact of Human Mobility on Malaria, Science (New York, N.Y.), 2012, vol. 338, no. 6104, pp. 267–270. DOI:10.1126/science.1223467.
- What you need to know about digital health systems, WHO Symposium on the Future of Digital Health Systems in the European Region, February 6–8, 2019, Copenhagen, Denmark. Available at: http://www.euro.who.int/en/media-centre/events/events/2019/02/who-symposium-on-the-future-of-digital-health-systems-in-the-european-region/news/news/2019/02/what-you-need-to-know-about-digital-health-systems (accessed on May 5, 2019).
- 3 Ways to Improve Healthcare in Africa, World Economic Forum, January 21, 2015. Available at: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/01/3-ways-to-improve-healthcare-in-africa/ (accessed on May 5, 2019).
- Digital Health. Resolution WHA71.7. Seventy-First World Health Assembly, World Health Organization, May 26, 2018. Available at: https://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/WHA71/A71_R7-en.pdf (accessed on May 5, 2019).