Evgeniy V. Maslanov
Institute of Philosophy, Russian Academy of Sciences
Communication of scientists and new information and communication technology (notes from a pessimist)
Abstract. The article attempts to analyze the basic ways scientific communication proceeds in. As known, it embraces two major streams, which are internal scientific communication with other scientists and communication with extra-scientific actors. The first type usually refers to the solution of professional issues, while the second one focuses on communicating the achievement of science to the public. Today, with the evolution of technoscience, the second type of communication is playing a special role. The author substantiates the thesis that the active use of new information and communication technology leads to the spread of scientific world views and scientific rationality beyond science. In the process of its use, new information and communication technology forms a space of values, intrinsic to scientific community, for non-scientists. Along with it, the intense development of projects to popularize scientific knowledge, together with the introduction of scientific rationality through the active use of various interfaces, leads to a situation where society is increasingly learning about science. There is an intersection of two communication flows – between scientists themselves and between scientists and extra-scientific actors. In this situation, a common space of communication is forming, and it can develop into a common space of projects and discussions between professionals and non-professionals. A border zone of a synthetic approach is forming between the two communication flows, where professional communication and science communication with non-scientists is starting to mix together. Such strategies are actively evolving within social networks or synthetic platforms, allowing both an acquaintance with scientific results and a participation in discussions with scientists or even in scientific research. As a result, the value and significance of scientific knowledge are becoming devalued.
Keywords: communication, science, science popularization, scientific communities, interface, new information and communication technology, platforms
- Astashova, N.D. Ekonomicheskaia sostavliayushchaia v effekte “naviazannoi ratsionalnosti” torgovykh tsentrov [An economic component in the effect of imposed rationality of shopping malls], Obshchestvo: filosofiia, istoriia, kultura [Society: Philosophy, History, Culture], 2016, no. 7, pp. 55–57. (In Russian)
- Bourdieu, P. Pole nauki [Field of Science], in: P. Bourdieu, Sotsialnoe prostranstvo: polia i praktiki [Social Space: Fields and Practices] / trans. from French. Moscow: Institut eksperimentalnoi sotsiologii Publ.; Saint Petersburg: Aleteiia Publ., 2007, pp. 473–517. (In Russian)
- Etika i “tsifra”: eticheskie problemy tsifrovykh tekhnologii. Analiticheskii doklad [Ethics and the “digital”: Ethical issues of digital technologies. Analytical report], Digital Transformation Leadership Training Center, 2020. Available at: http://ethics.cdto.center/ (accessed on January 25, 2020)]. (In Russian)
- Kasavin, I.T. Rozhdenie filosofii nauki iz dukha viktorianskoi epokhi [The birth of philosophy of science from the spirit of Victorian era], Epistemologiya i filosofiya nauki / Epistemology and Philosophy of Science, 2019, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 23–33. DOI: 10.5840/eps20195612. (In Russian)
- Latour, B. Nauka v deystvii: sleduia za uchenymi i inzhenerami vnutri obshchestva [Science in Action: Following Scientists and Engineers within Society] / trans. from English. Saint Petersburg: Izdatelstvo Evropeiskogo universiteta v Sankt-Petersburge Publ., 2013. (In Russian)
- Lektorskiy, V.A. Filosofiia, poznanie, kultura [Philosophy, Cognition, Culture]. Moscow: Kanon+ ROOI “Reabilitatsiia” Publ., 2012. (In Russian)
- Markeeva, A.V., Gavrilenko, O.V. Tsifrovaia platforma kak novyi ekonomicheskii aktor i novaia instantsiia sotsialnogo kontrolia [Digital platform as a new economic actor and a new instance of social control], Vestnik Moskovskogo Universiteta. Ser. 7. Filosofiya [Bulletin of Moscow University. Series 7. Philosophy], 2019, no. 5, pp. 29–48. (In Russian)
- Maslanov, E.V. Kraudsorsing v nauke: novyi element nauchnoi infrastruktury [Crowdsourcing in science: a new element of the scientific infrastructure], Filosofiya nauki i tekhniki [Philosophy of Science and Technology], 2018, no. 1, pp. 141–155. (In Russian)
- Merton, R.K. The Sociology of Science. Theoretical and Empirical Investigations. Chicago; London: The University of Chicago Press, 1973.
- Snow, C.P. Dve kultury i nauchnaia revoliutsiia [Two cultures and the scientific revolution], in: C.P. Snow, Portrety i razmyshleniia [Portraits and Thoughts] / transl. from English. Moscow: Progress Publ., 1985, pp. 195–226. (In Russian)
- Tsurkan, E.V. Kulturnye vyzovy globalnoi seti internet [Cultural challenges of the Internet], Tsyfrovoj uchenyj: laboratoriya filosofa / The Digital Scholar: Philosopher’s Lab, 2018, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 116–128. (In Russian)
- Zitrain, J. The Future of the Internet – And How to Stop It. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2008.