Timur M. Khusyainov
National Research University Higher School of Economics
Digital footprints in the university space
Abstract. This work considers the use of digital traces in the educational environment and the specifics of their collection and analysis at the university. One way or another, all participants in the educational process, as well as those who can potentially become them, for example, applicants, leave digital traces in the digital environments of the university and the Global Network in general, and these traces can be analyzed. At the same time, even the university itself as an organization leaves a certain digital footprint on the Internet. At the moment, most researchers are very optimistic, contemplating on what positive changes can be brought by the analysis of digital traces of applicants, students and teachers for the development of the university itself, the educa-tional process, and the formation of individual learning paths.
In contrast to this, the author identifies a number of possible prospects for the analysis of Big Data and the use of Artificial Intelligence for education at the university of the future. Attention is focused on how this can affect the safety of the environment and conflict with ethical standards. Participants in the educational process, falling under the analysis of their digital traces, can both suffer because of them, even if their activities have not been in any way connected with the university, and begin to hide their true digital identity, creating «false» digital traces and becoming anon-ymous. The author assumes that an increase in such control covering actions, thoughts and emotions naturally results in the emergence of the concept of a «Dark» University, which distances itself as much as possible from such methods of analyzing personal data.
Keywords: digital footprint, university space, online education, Big Data, Smart University, Digital University, “Dark” University, educa-tional trajectory, data analysis, higher education
- Abd-Alrazaq, A. A., Alajlani, M., Alalwan, A. A., Bewick, B. M., Gardner, P., Househ, M. “An overview of the features of chatbots in mental health: a scoping review”, International Journal of Medical Informatics, 2019, vol. 132, art. 103978, doi: 10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2019.103978
- Abdelnour-Nocera, J., Oussena, S., Burns, C. “Human work interaction design of the smart university”, in: J. Abdelnour Nocera, B. Barricelli, A. Lopes, P. Campos, T. Clemmensen (eds), Human Work Interaction Design. Work Analysis and Interaction Design Methods for Pervasive and Smart Workplaces. HWID 2015. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, vol. 468. Cham: Springer, 2015, pp. 127–140, doi: 10.1007/978–3-319–27048-7_9
- Aheleroff, S., Zhong, R.Y., Xu, X. “A digital twin reference for mass personalization in industry 4.0”, Procedia CIRP, 2020, vol. 93, pp. 228–233, doi: 10.1016/j.procir.2020.04.023
- Bekova, S.K., Terentjev, Ye.A., Maloshonok, N.G. “Obrazovatelnoe neravenstvo v usloviyakh pandemii COVID-19: svyaz sotsialno-ekonomicheskogo polozheniya semji i opyta distantsionnogo obucheniya studentov” [Educational inequality in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic: the relationship between the socio-economic situation of the family and the experience of distance learning of students], Voprosy obrazovaniya [Education Issues], 2021, no. 1, pp. 74–92, doi: 10.17323/1814–9545-2021–1-74–92. (In Russian)
- Buchanan, R., Southgate, E., Scevak, J., Smith, S.P. “Expert insights into education for positive digital footprint development”, Scan, 2018, vol. 37, no. 2. Available at: https://search.informit.org/doi/epdf/10.3316/informit.243445474304969 (accessed on March 8, 2021)
- Cino, D., Vandini, C. D. “‘My kid, my rule’: Governing children’s digital footprints as a source of dialectical tensions between mothers and daughters-in-law”, Studies in Communication Sciences, 2020, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 181–202, doi: 10.24434/j.scoms.2020.02.003
- Connelly, L., Osborne, N. Digital Footprint. Coursera, 2021. Available at: https://www.coursera.org/learn/digital-footprint (accessed on March 17, 2021)
- Dekker, I., De Jong, E.M., Schippers, M.C., De Bruijn-Smolders, M., Alexiou, A., Giesbers, B. “Optimizing students’ mental health and academic performance: AI-enhanced life crafting”, Frontiers in Psychology, 2020, vol. 11, art. 1063, doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2020.01063
- Deleuze, G. “Postscript on the societies of control”, October, 1992, vol. 59, pp. 3–7.
- Dennen, V.P. “Technology transience and learner data: shifting notions of privacy in online learning”, Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 2015, vol. 16, no 2, pp. 45–59.
- Duffy, B.E., Chan, N.K. “‘You never really know who’s looking’: imagined surveillance across social media platforms”, New Media & Society, 2019, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 119–138, doi: 10.1177/1461444818791318
- Education at a Glance 2019: OECD Indicators. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Paris: OECD, 2019. Available at: https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/education/education-at-a-glance-2019_f8d7880d-en (accessed on April 12, 2021)
- Efremova, Yu. I. “Application of big data in the educational process”, in: S. Ashmarina, V. Mantulenko (eds.), Current Achievements, Challenges and Digital Chances of Knowledge Based Economy. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, vol. 133. Cham: Springer, 2021, pp. 363–370, doi: 10.1007/978–3-030–47458-4_43
- Girardin, F., Calabrese, F., Fiore, F. D.; Ratti, C., Blat, J. “Digital footprinting: Uncovering tourists with user-generated content”, IEEE Pervasive Computing: Journal, 2008, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 36–43, doi:10.1109/MPRV.2008.71
- Karabatak, S., Karabatak, M. “Z Generation students and their digital footprints”, 2020 8th International Symposium on Digital Forensics and Security (ISDFS). Beirut: IEEE, 2020, pp. 1–5, doi: 10.1109/ISDFS49300.2020.9116455
- Kelly, J. “Inside the ‘digital cleanse’ companies taking on cancel culture”, Financial Times, April 21, 2021. Available at: https://www.ft.com/content/3f1c1edd-a319-4bec-af7b-a4a839919a91 (accessed on March 26, 2021)
- Khusyainov, T.M. “Zaputyvaya ‘tsifrovyye sledy’” [Confusing “digital footprints”], Tsifrovoy uchenyj: laboratoriya filosofa / The Digital Scholar: Philosopher’s Lab, 2021, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 45–50, doi: 10.32326/2618–9267-2021–4-1–45-50. (In Russian)
- Kondratenko, A.B., Kondratenko, B.A. “Vozmozhnosti primeneniya Bolshikh dannykh v obrazovanii v epokhu tsifrovogo obshchestva” [Possibilities of using Big Data in education in the era of digital society], Vestnik Kaliningradskogo filiala Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta MVD Rossii [Bulletin of the Kaliningrad Branch of the St. Petersburg University of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia], 2017, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 112–115. (In Russian)
- Kurbatskiy, V.N. “Tsifrovoy sled v obrazovatelnom prostranstve kak osnova transformatsii sovremennogo universiteta” [Digital footprint in the educational space as the basis for the modern university transformation], “Vysheyshaya shkola”: navukova-metadychny í publítsystychny chasopís [“Higher School”: scientific-methodical and publicist journal], 2019, no. 5, pp. 40–45. Available at: https://elib.bsu.by/handle/123456789/239268 (accessed on April 3, 2021). (In Russian)
- Leonardi, P.M. “COVID-19 and the new technologies of organizing: digital exhaust, digital footprints, and artificial intelligence in the wake of remote work”, Journal of Management Studies, 2021, vol. 58, no. 1, special issue: Corporate Entrepreneurship and Family Business: Learning Across Disciplines, pp. 249–253, doi: 10.1111/joms.12648
- Lorenz, T. “From finstas to ‘ghost posts’: Teens clean up their online footprints for college admissions”, Mashable, June 13, 2017. Available at: https://mashable.com/article/high-school-college-students-online-profiles-clean-up (accessed on March 26, 2021).
- Mantulenko, V.V. “Prospects of digital footprints use in the higher education”, in: S. Ashmarina, V. Mantulenko (eds), Current Achievements, Challenges and Digital Chances of Knowledge Based Economy. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, vol. 133. Cham: Springer, 2021, pp. 581–589, doi: 10.1007/978–3-030–47458-4_67.
- McDermott, M. “Digital footprints: Creation, implication, and higher education”, FDLA Journal, 2018, vol. 3, no. 1, art. 11. Available at: http://www.fdla.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Digital-footprints_-Creation-implication-and-higher-education.pdf (accessed on April 8, 2021).
- McDonnell, A. 60% of employers are peeking into candidates’ social media profiles. CareerBuilder, April 28, 2016. Available at: https://www.careerbuilder.com/advice/60-of-employers-are-peeking-into-candidates-social-media-profiles#:~:text=Even%20more%20evidence%20that%20you,percent%20increase%20since%20last%20year (accessed on April 12, 2021).
- Micheli, M., Lutz, C., Büchi, M. “Digital footprints: an emerging dimension of digital inequality”, Journal of Information, Communication and Ethics in Society, 2018, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 242–251, doi: 10.1108/JICES-02–2018-0014.
- Mukhametzyanov, I.Sh. “Tsifrovaya transformatsiya obrazovaniya (Bolshiye dannyye, kiberbezopasnost, tsifrovoy sled uchashchegosya)” [Digital transformation of education (Big data, cybersecurity, student digital footprint)], Pedagogicheskaya informatika [Pedagogical Informatics], 2020, no. 4, pp. 180–191. Available at: https://www.elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=44616868 (accessed on April 17, 2021). (In Russian)
- Natanson, H. Harvard rescinds acceptances for at least ten students for obscene memes. The Harvard Crimson, June 5, 2017. Available at: https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2017/6/5/2021-offers-rescinded-memes/ (accessed on April 12, 2021).
- Nie, M., Yang, L., Ding, B., Xia, H., Xu, H., Lian, D. “Forecasting career choice for college students based on campus big data”, in: APWeb 2016: Web Technologies and Applications. Cham: Springer, 2016, pp. 359–370, doi: 10.1007/978–3-319–45814-4_29.
- O’Neil, C. Weapons of Math Destruction. Largo: Crown Books, 2016.
- Pak, G.S., Khusyainov, T.M. “‘Pravo otklyuchitjsya’ kak otvet na ekspansiyu truda v nerabocheye vremya: kto im vospolzuyetsya” [“The right to disconnect” as a response to the expansion of labor outside working hours: who will use it], Vestnik Permskogo universiteta. Filosofiya. Psikhologiya. Sotsiologiya [Bulletin of Perm University. Philosophy. Psychology. Sociology], 2018, no. 4, pp. 508–516, doi: 10.17072/2078–7898/2018–4-508–516. (In Russian)
- Provoost, S., Lau, H.M., Ruwaard, J., Riper, H. “Embodied conversational agents in clinical psychology: a scoping review”, Journal of Medical Internet Research, 2017, vol. 19, no. 5, e151, doi: 10.2196/jmir.6553.
- Ptáčková, B. Cybercrime and the use of digital footprints in criminology. VSFS University of Finance and Administration Repository, 2020. Available at: https://is.vsfs.cz/th/tmlz0/Za_ve_rec_na__pra_ce.pdf (accessed on April 12, 2021).
- Rajkumar, S. Growing power of digital footprint in placements. The Times of India, May 29, 2020. Available at: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/growing-power-of-digital-footprint-in-placements/articleshow/76079509.cms (accessed on March 18, 2021).
- Razinkina, E.M. “Digital transformation: case of the polytechnic university”, International Forum «IT-Technologies for Engineering Education: New Trends and Implementing Experience» (ITEE-2019), ITM Web Conf., 2020, vol. 35, pp. 1–9, doi: 10.1051/itmconf/20203502007.
- Saxena, S. What is progressive profiling and how it works? Security Boulevard, April 7, 2021. Available at: https://securityboulevard.com/2021/04/what-is-progressive-profiling-and-how-it-works/ (accessed on March 26, 2021).
- Shamsutdinova, T.M. Kognitivnaya model trayektorii elektronnogo obucheniya na osnove tsifrovogo sleda [Cognitive model of e-learning trajectory based on digital footprint], Otkrytoe obrazovanie [Open Education], 2020, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 47–54. (In Russian)
- Shibarshina, S.V. Sotsialnye seti dlya uchenykh: novaya forma sotsialnosti? [Social networks for researchers on the Internet: the new sociality?], Epistemologiya i filosofiya nauki / Epistemology & Philosophy of Science, 2019, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 21–28, doi: 10.5840/eps201956463. (In Russian)
- Spilka, D. Is artificial intelligence the ultimate university stimulus? Readwrite, October 10, 2019. Available at: https://readwrite.com/2019/10/10/is-artificial-intelligence-the-ultimate-university-stimulus/ (accessed on March 26, 2021).
- Stepanenko, A.A., Feshchenko, A.V. “‘Tsifrovoy sled’ studenta: poisk, analiz, interpretatsiya” [“Digital footprint” of a student: search, analysis, interpretation], Otkrytoye i distantsionnoe obrazovanie [Open and Distance Education], 2017, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 58–62, doi: 10.17223/16095944/68/9. (In Russian)
- Tulupjeva, T.V., Suvorova, A.V., Azarov, A.A., Tulupjev, A. L., Bordovskaya, N.V. Vozmozhnosti i opyt primeneniya kompjyuternykh instrumentov v analize tsifrovykh sledov studentov-polzovateley sotsialnoy seti [Possibilities and experience of applying computer tools to the analysis of digital traces of students using social networks], Kompjyuternye instrumenty v obrazovanii [Computer Tools in Education], 2015, no. 5, pp. 3–13. (In Russian)
- Vaidyam, A.N., Wisniewski, H., Halamka, J.D., Kashavan, M.S., Torous, J.B. “Chatbots and conversational agents in mental health: a review of the psychiatric landscape”, The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 2019, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 456–464, doi: 10.1177/0706743719828977.
- Vakhshtayn, V. et al. Publichnyj otchet po rezultatam sotsiologicheskogo issledovaniya povedencheskikh i institutsionalnykh predposylok tekhnologicheskogo razvitiya regionov RF [Public Report on a Sociological Study of the Behavioral and Institutional Conditions for the Regional Technological Development in the Russian Federation]. Moscow: The Moscow School of Social and Economic Sciences Publ., 2017. Available at: https://www.rvc.ru/upload/iblock/0e8/attitudes_to_technologies_and_innovations_in_Russia.pdf (accessed on April 3, 2021). (In Russian)
- Your Digital Footprint. University of Portsmouth, 2021. Available at: https://www.port.ac.uk/student-life/help-and-advice/study-skills/digital-skills/your-digital-footprint (accessed on March 26, 2021).
- Yu, S. “Cyber profiling in criminal investigation”, Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology, Fifth Edition. ISI Global, 2021, pp. 333–343, doi: 10.4018/978–1-7998–3479-3.ch024.
- Zakharova, I.G., Boganyuk, Yu.V., Vorobjyeva, M.S., Pavlova, Ye.A. “Diagnostika professionalnoy kompetentnosti studentov IT-napravleniy na osnove dannykh tsifrovogo sleda” [Diagnostics of the professional competence of IT students based on digital footprint data], Informatika i obrazovaniye [Computer Science and Education], 2020, vol. 313, no. 4, pp. 4–11. (In Russian)
- Zuboff, S. The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power. New York: Profile Books, 2019.