Svetlana V. Shibarshina
Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod
Social constructionism and linguistic practices
Abstract. This paper discusses some issues touched upon by Elena O. Trufanova in her research on the problem of subject and the status of knowledge in the social constructionism. I focus on the views of Rom Harré and Peter Mühlhäusler who describe the “inner Self” as a linguistic construction and, on the whole, oppose the standpoint of linguistic universalism. In this respect, I also consider the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis assuming that addressing the problem of “the Self” in its linguistic dimension depends to a large extent on the development of interdisciplinary cognitive studies..
Keywords: social constructionism, Harré, personality, the Self, grammar, pronoun.
- Cole, M., Scribner, S. Culture and Thought: A Psychological Introduction. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1974. 227 p.
- Harre, R. “Teoriya pozitsionirovaniya” [Positioning theory], Vestnik Udmurtskogo universiteta. Seriya “Filosofiya. Psikhologiya. Pedagogika” [Bulletin of the Udmurt University. Series “Philosophy. Psychology. Pedagogy”], 2007, no. 9, pp. 193–203.
- Harré, R., Mühlhäusler, P. Pronouns and People: The Linguistic Construction of Social and Personal Identity. Basil Blackwell, Oxford, 1990. 303 p.
- Moravcsik, E. “Peter Mühlhäusler & Rom Harré. ‘Pronouns and people: the linguistic construction of social and personal identity’. (Language and Society, 15.) Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1990. Pp. viii + 303”, Journal of Linguistics 1992, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 550–554.
- Shibarshina, S.V. Metodologicheskiy analiz gipotez v lingvistike (na primere vozzreniy B.L. Uorfa) [Methodological analysis of hypotheses in linguistics (based on the example of B.L Whorf)], Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N.I. Lobachevskogo. Seriya: Sotsialnyye nauki [Bulletin of the Nizhny Novgorod University. N.I. Lobachevsky. Series: Social Sciences], 2013, no. 3 (31), pp. 162–167.