Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod
The Frankfurt school and the main trends of the historical-philosophical process in contemporary Germany
Abstract. In December 21, 2017 at the Lobachevsky State University the dis-cussion was held on the ideas of the Frankfurt School in the mainstream of the following aspects. First, the philosophical justification for the idea of justice as the principle of a rational and progressive social order. Second, the study of the realities of contemporary world society as the “late capitalist” focused on understanding which progressive social forces can instigate reforming of world capitalism toward the social democratic ideal of a rational and just society. Third, political studies of how new societies can emerge able to become a “group of influence” in the modern European political process and implement the philosophical ideals of the Frankfurt School. The participants also considered such key concepts of Jurgen Habermas’ system as communicative mind, communicative action, and discourse, as well as a number of philosophical sources that influenced the formation of his theory. Also some concepts of such contemporary, though less known in Russia, thinkers – followers of the Frankfurt School’s ideas, as Axel Honneth and Rainer Forst, were presented. The discussion also touched upon possible scenarios for the development of the world social process, including the issue of spirituality.
Keywords: social philosophy, Frankfurt school, Jurgen Habermas, Karl-Otto Apel, Axel Honneth, instrumental reason, capitalism, theory of communicative action.
- Shachin, S.V. Zakony dialektiki i printsipy sistemnosti: opyt novogo obosnovaniya [The laws of dialectics and the principles of systematics: the ex-perience of a new rationale]. Moscow: URSS, 2014. 127 pp. (In Russian)
- Shachin, S.V. Kommunikativnaya teoriya razuma Yurgena Khabermasa [Jurgen Habermas’ communicative theory of mind]. Murmansk: MPGU, 2010. 243 pp. (In Russian)
- Shachin, S.V. Kontseptsii sovremennogo yestestvoznaniya (Plan-konspekt teoreticheskoy chasti kursa) [Concepts of modern natural science (the outline of the theoretical part of the course)]: Tutorial for humanities students / Murmansk State Pedagogical Institute. Murmansk: MGPI, 2001. 83 pp. (In Russian)
- Shachin, S.V. Filosofiya Frankfurtskoy shkoly i Rossiya: opyt sinteza nemetskogo ratsionalizma i rossiyskoy dukhovnosti [The Frankfurt School’s philosophy and Russia: the experience of the synthesis of German rationalism and Russian spirituality]. Moscow: URSS; Lenand, 2017. 299 pp. (In Russian)
- Shachin, S.V. Filosofiya Frankfurtskoy shkoly: Ot Khabermasa do Libsha [The Frankfurt School’s philosophy: from Habermas to Liebsch]. Moscow: URSS, 2015. 216 pp. (In Russian)