Tatiana D. Sokolova
Institute of Philosophy, Russian Academy of Sciences
On universal rationality or What to do in case one would like to keep dogmas
Abstract. The article proposes to discuss the concept of universal rationality. How is justified in contemporary philosophy the talk about universal rationality? Moreover, if so, on what grounds? What should be the theory of universal rationality and what theoretical and practical means does the philosopher have if she wants to remain dogmatic? In this paper I will try (1) to briefly describe the attitude of philosophy to the definition of rationality in a historical perspective; (2) list the fundamental theoretical problems associated with the attempts to define universal rationality; (3) derive the requirements that the concept of universal rationality must satisfy; (4) offer a theoretical basis for its construction; (5) and outline techniques for their implementation.
Ключевые слова: universal rationality, dogmatism, internalism, relativism, historical a priori, functional a priori
Supported by Russian Foundation for Basic Research, project № 18–311-00282 “Rationality in the humanities: theoretical contradictions and disciplinary practice”.
- Bloor, D. Knowledge and Social Imagery. London; Henley; Boston: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1976. 156 pp.
- BonJour, L. In Defense of Pure Reason: A Rationalist Account of A Priori Justification. Cambridge; New York: Cambridge University Press, 1998. 248 pp.
- Lewis, C.I. A Pragmatic Conception of the A Priori, The Journal of Philosophy, 1923, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 169–177.
- Lewis, C.I. Mind and the World-order. New York: Dover Publications, Inc. 1956. 567 pp.
- Metzger, H. L’A Priori dans la Doctrine Scientifique et l’Histoire des Sciences, Archeion, 1936, vol. 18, pp. 29–42.
- Pap, A. On the Meaning of Necessity, The Journal of Philosophy, 1943a, vol. 40, no 17, pp. 449–458.
- Pap, A. On the Meaning of Universality, The Journal of Philosophy, 1943b, vol. 40, no 19, pp. 505–514.
- Pap, A. The A Priori in Physical Theory. New York: King’s Crown Press, 1946. 102 p.
- Pap, A. The Different Kinds of A Priori, The Philosophical Review, 1944, vol. 52, no 5, pp. 465–484.
- Peacocke, Ch. Explaining the A Priori: The Programme of Moderate Rationalism. In: P. Boghossian, Ch. Peacock (ed.), New Essays on the A Priori. Oxford, New York: Oxford University Press, 2002. P. 255–285.
- Stoliarova, O.E. Istoricheskaia ontologiia kak problema [Historical Ontology as a Problem], Tomsk State University Journal of Philosophy, Sociology and Political Science, 2018, vol. 41, no 45, pp. 194–202. DOI: 10.17223/1998863Х/45/20. (In Russian)
- Stump, D. Arthur Pap’s Functional Theory of the A Priori, HOPOS:
The Journal of the International Society for the History of Philosophy
of Science, 2011, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 273–290. DOI: 10.1086/659342.
- Stump, D. Conceptual Change and the Philosophy of Science Alternative Interpretations of the A Priori. New York; Abingdon: Routledge, 2015. 175 pp.
- Wedgwood, R. The Nature of Normativity. Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press, 2007. 296 pp.
- Wedgwood, R. The Value of Rationality. Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press, 2017. 267 pp.
- Whewell, W. The Philosophy of the Inductive Sciences founded upon Their History. Ch. II On the Fundamental Antithesis of Philosophy [Filosofiia induktivnyh nauk, opiraiushchaiasia na ikh historiyu. Glava 2.
- O fundamentalnoj antiteze filosofii] / transl. from English by E.V. Vostrikova, Epistemology & Philosophy of Science / Epistemologiya i filosofiya nauki, 2014, vol. 41, no 3, pp. 210–230. (In Russian)