Evgeniy V. Maslanov
Institute of Philosophy, Russian Academy of Sciences
University of expertise – university after ruins
Abstract. The article analyzes one of the possible ap-proaches to building a new university. Based on a comparison of the functioning of the Humboldtian and Entrepreneurial universities, the author argues that they do not fully satisfy the contemporary needs of society. Focused on freedom of teaching and education through research, the Humboldtian university is currently being found in ruins. It gives scientists the special status of carriers of a certain epistemic authority, which cannot be criticized. The Entrepreneurial university turns scientists into entrepreneurs. They have no particular epistemic authority. As a result, the author concludes that a change in the functioning of universities can be described through a change in the epistemic position of scientists. From those who had a monopoly on knowledge and expertise they have turned into one of many different experts. In this context, the paper suggests considering a new model of the university – the university of expertise. Keeping all valuable from the Humboldtian and Entrepreneurial universities, the new model pays more attention to the formation of competencies associated with the expertise of teachers and students.
Keywords: Humboldtian university, Entrepreneurial university, expertise, science studies, education
- Audretsch, D. From the Entrepreneurial University to the University for the Entrepreneurial Society, Journal of Technological Transfer, 2014, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 313– 321. DOI: 10.1007/s10961-012‑9288-1.
- Callon, M. Some Elements of a Sociology of Translation; Domestication of the Scallops and the Fishermen of St. Brieuc Bay, in: Law, J. (ed.), Power, Action and Belief. London: Routledge, 1986, pp. 196–223.
- Clark, B.R. Creating Entrepreneurial Universities: Organizational Pathways of Transformation. Kidlington, Oxford: Pergamon, 1998. 163 pp.
- Cohen, W.M., Levinthal, D.A Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R & D, The Economic Journal, 1989, vol. 99, no. 397, pp. 569– 596.
- Collins, H., Evans, R. Rethinking Expertise. Chicago; London: The University of Chicago Press, 2007. 159 pp.
- Collins, H., Evans, R. The Third Wave of Science Studies: Studies of Expertise and Experience, Social Studies of Science, 2002, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 235– 296. DOI: 10.1177/0306312702032002003.
- Das, N.K., Sil, A. Evolution of Ethics in Clinical Research and Ethics Committee, Indian Journal of Dermatology, 2017, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 373– 379.
- Fuller, S. V chem unikalnost universitetov? Obnovlenie ideala v epokhu predprinimatelstva [What Makes Universities Unique? Updating the Ideal for an Entrepreneurial Age] / transl. from English by S. Filonovich, Voprosy obrazovaniya / Educational Studies Moscow, 2005, no. 2, pp. 50–76. (In Russian)
- Konstantinov, G.N., Filonovich, S.R. Chto takoe predprinimatelskii universitet [What Is an Entrepreneurial University], Voprosy obrazovaniya / Educational Studies Moscow, 2007, no. 1, pp. 49– 62. (In Russian)
- Kraeva, A.G. Science art kak metakognitivnyi uroven refleksii sovremennoi kultury [Science Art as a Metacognitive Level of Reflection of Modern Culture], Simbirskii nauchnyi vestnik [Simbirsk Scientific Herald], 2017, no. 4, pp. 81– 88. (In Russian)
- Latour, B. Science in Action. How to Follow Scientists and Engineers through Society. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1987. 288 pp.
- Readings, B. The University in Ruins. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1996. 238 pp.
- Schnädelbach, H. Universitet Gumboldta [Humboldt University] / transl. from German, Logos, 2002, no. 5– 6, pp. 65–78. (In Russian)
- Yudin, B.G. Eticheskoe soprovozhdenie biomeditsinskikh issledovanii kak sfera primeneniia sotsialnykh tekhnologii [Ethical Support of Biomedical Research as a Sphere of Application of Social Technologies], in: Kasavin, I.T. (ed.) Obshchestvo. Tekhnika. Nauka. Na puti k teorii sotsialnykh tekhnologii [Society. Tecnique. Science. On the Way to the Theory of Social Technologies]. Moscow: Alfa-M Publ., 2012, pp. 318–336. (In Russian)