Lada V. Shipovalova
Saint Petersburg University
Distributed cognition – analytics and problematization of the concept
Abstract. The article analyzes the concept of distributed cognition, which arose in science at the crossroad of cognitive, anthropological and ethnographic studies at the end of the twentieth century. The author distinguishes between this and related concepts, such as distributed knowledge, situational cognition, extended mind, and collective cognition, and also determines the main elements of the distributed cognition with reference to Edwin Hutchins’ works. She describes the research contexts that shape the contemporary relevance of this concept: non-classical epistemology, research of modern technoscience and digital transformation. The two concluding parts of the article address the problems characterizing this concept and the areas of its application. Considering its application, the author emphasizes the im-portance of intersection of the field of its application, as well as research areas in science, political communication and modern digital transformations studies. This intersection demonstrates the possible limits in how this concept applies, and also elucidates new aspects facilitating its further development. Particular attention to this concept is due to its ability to mediate between cognitive, epistemic, cultural, and socio-political contexts of cognition research.
Keywords: Edwin Hutchins, cultural cognitive ecosystems, digital transformations, science communication
The research was supported by the Russian Science Foundation un-der Grant number 19–18-00210 “Political ontology of digitalization: Study of institutional bases for digital forms of governability”.
- Agotnes, T., Wang, Yi.N. Resolving Distributed Knowledge, Artificial Intelligence, 2017, vol. 252, pp. 1–21.
- Amon, M.J., Favela, L.H. Distributed Cognition Criteria: Defined, Operationalized, and Applied to Human-Dog Systems, Behavioural Processes, 2019, vol. 162, pp. 167–176.
- Angeli, C. Distributed Cognition: A Framework for Understanding the Role of Computers in Classroom Teaching and Learning, Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 2008, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 271–279.
- Barben, D., Fisher, E., Selin, C., Guston, D. H. Anticipatory Governance of Nanotechnology: Foresight, Engagement, and Integration, in: E. J. Hackett et al (eds.) The Handbook of Science and Technology Studies. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2008, pp. 979‑1000.
- Beck, U. Risk Society. Towards a New Modernity. London: Sage Publications, 1992. 272 pp.
- Berndt, E., Furniss, D., Blandford, A. Learning Contextual Inquiry and Distributed Cognition: A Case Study on Technology Use in Anesthesia, Cognition, Technology and Work, 2015, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 431–449.
- Bond, A.H., Gasser, L. (eds). Readings in Distributed Artificial Intelligence. San Mateo, California: Morgan Kaufmann Publisher, 1988. 649 pp.
- Bucchi, M., Trench, B. (eds.) Routledge Handbook of Public Communication of Science and Technology. London: Routledge, 2014. 274 pp.
- Casner, S.M., Hutchins, E.L. What Do We Tell the Drivers? Toward Minimum Driver Training Standards for Partially Automated Cars, Journal of Cognitive Engineering and Decision Making, 2019, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 55–66.
- Ceruzzi, P. The Historical Context, in: S. Price, C. Jewitt, B. Brown (eds.) The Sage Handbook of Digital Technology Research. London: Sage, 2013, pp. 9–25.
- Clark, A., Chalmers, D.J. The Extended Mind, Analysis, 1998, vol. 58 pp. 7–19.
- Falikman, M.A. Kognitivnaia nauka v XXI veke: organizm, sotsium, kultura [Cognitive Science in the Twenty-first Century: Organism, Society, Culture], Psikhologicheskii zhurnal [Psychological Journal], 2012, no. 3, pp. 31–37. (In Russian)
- Fricker, M. Epistemic Injustice and a Role for Virtue in the Politics of Knowing, Metaphilosophy, 2003, vol. 34, no. 1–2, pp. 154–173.
- Halverson, C.A. Activity Theory and Distributed Cognition: Or What Does CSCW Need to DO with Theories? Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 2002, vol. 11, no. 1–2, pp. 243–267.
- Hazlehurst, B., McMullen, C.K., Gorman, P.N. Distributed Cognition in the Heart Room: How Situation Awareness Arises from Coordinated Communications during Cardiac Surgery, Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 2007, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 539–551.
- Hollan, J., Hutchins, E., Kirsh, D. Distributed Cognition: Toward a New Foundation for Human- Computer Interaction Research, ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, 2000, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 174–196.
- Hutchins, E. Cognition in the Wild. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 1995. 402 pp.
- Hutchins, E. Distributed Cognition, Comphacker, May 18, 2000. Available at: http://comphacker.org/pdfs/631/DistributedCognition.pdf (accessed on September 10, 2019).
- Hutchins, E. How a Cockpit Remembers Its Speeds, Cognitive Science, 1995, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 265–288.
- Hutchins, E. The Cultural Ecosystem of Human Cognition, Philosophical Psychology, 2014, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 34–49.
- Karasavvidis, I. Distributed Cognition and Educational Practice, Journal of Interactive Learning Research, 2002, vol. 13, no. 1/2, pp. 11–29.
- Karinen, R., Guston, D. Towards Anticipatory Governance: The Experience with Nanotechnology, in: M. Kaiser, M. Kurath (eds.) Nanotechnology and the Rise of an Assessment Regime. Dordrecht: Springer, 2010, pp. 217–232.
- Khalin, V.G. Chernova, G.V. Tsifrovizatsiia i ee vliianie na rossiiskuiu ekonomiku i obshhestvo: preimushhestva, vyzovy, ugrozy i riski [Digitalization and Its Impact on the Russian Economy and Society: Advantages, Challenges, Threats and Risks], Upravlencheskoe konsultirovanie [Administrative Consulting], 2018, no. 10, pp. 46–63. (In Russian)
- Kirkman, D.M. A Distributed Knowledge Approach to Managing Innovation, Journal of Strategic Innovation and Sustainability, 2016, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 9–15.
- Kosmarski, A. A. Blokchein dlia nauki: revoliutsionnye vozmozhnosti, perspektivy vnedreniia, potentsialnye problemy [Blockchain for Science: Revolutionary Opportunities, Implementation Prospects, Potential Issues], Monitoring obshchestvennogo mneniia: ekonomicheskie i sotsialnye peremeny [Monitoring of Public Opinion: Economic and Social Changes], 2019, no. 2, pp. 388–409. (In Russian)
- Latour, B. Politika obiasneniia: alternativa [The Politics of Explanation: An Alternative], Sotsiologiia vlasti [Sociology of Power], 2012, no. 8, pp. 113–143. (In Russian)
- Lisenkova, A.A. Sotsiokulturnye vyzovy tsifrovoi epokhi [Socio-cultural Challenges of the Digital Age], Tsifrovoj Uchenyj: laboratoriya filosofa / The Digital Scholar: Philosopher’s Lab, 2019, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 173–182. (In Russian)
- Magnus, P.D. Distributed Cognition and the Task of Science, Social Studies of Science, 2007, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 297–310.
- Overmann, K.A., Malafouris, L. Situated Cognition, in: H. Callan (ed.) International Encyclopedia of Anthropology: Anthropology beyond Text. New York: Wiley-Blackwell, 2018, pp. 1–8.
- Owen, R., Macnaghten, P., Stilgoe, J. Responsible Research and Innovation: From Science in Society to Science for Society, with Society, Science and Public Policy, 2012, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 751–760.
- Perry, M. Distributed Cognition, in: H. Paschler (ed.) Encyclopedia of the Mind. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, 2013, pp. 258–260.
- Roelofsen, F. Distributed Knowledge, Journal of Applied Non-Classical Logics, 2007, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 255–273.
- Salomon, G. Distributed Cognitions: Psychological and Educational Considerations. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1993. 300 pp.
- Shaposhnikov, V.A. Raspredelennoe znanie i matematicheskaia praktika v tsifrovom obshchestve: ot formalizatsii dokazatelstva k peresmotru osnovanii [Distributed Cognition and Mathematical Practice in the Digital Society: From Formalized Proofs to Revisited Foundations], Epistemologiya i filosofiya nauki / Epistemology and Philosophy of Science, 2018, vol. 55, no. 4. pp. 160–173. (In Russian)
- Shipovalova, L.V. Raspredelennoe poznanie i ego granitsy v kontekste publichnoi nauchnoi kommunikatsii [Distributed Cognition and Its Boundaries in the Context of Public Science Communication], Sotsiologiya nauki i tekhnologiy / Sociology of Science and Technology, 2019, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 39–51. (In Russian)
- Shkurko, А.В. Ot raspredelennogo poznaniia k raspredelennomu resheniiu zadach: sotsiologicheskaia perspektiva v razvitii kognitivnoi nauki [From Distributed Cognition to Distributed Problem Solving: Sociologic Perspective in Cognitive Science Development], Psikhologiya. Zhurnal Vysshey shkoly ekonomiki [Psychology. The Journal of the Higher School of Economics], 2010, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 3–22. (In Russian)
- Shutkin, D. Representationalism and Power: The Individual Subject and Distributed Cognition in the Field of Educational Technology, Studies in Philosophy and Education, 2019, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 481–498.
- Smith, M.W., Hughes, A.M., Brown, C., (…), Mehta, P., Singh, H. Test Results Management and Distributed Cognition in Electronic Health Record–enabled Primary Care, Health Informatics Journal, 2019, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 1549–1562.
- Sugumaran, V. (ed.) Distributed Artificial Intelligence: Agent Technology and Collaborative Applications. Hershey, London: Information Science Reference, 2009. 450 pp.