Olga M. Smirnova
Gubkin Russian State University of Oil and Gas (National Research University)
The digital economy of education: Anticipation or consumer business project?
Abstract. The paper deals with the question of how higher education will develop in the digital economy. How do modern market mechanisms and the risks of choosing a model of education relate to each other in context of global digitalization? The author raises the question of digital techno-optimism, techno-pessimism, and techno-realism in higher education. The priority area of risk for digital business is recognized as being in the field of education, that is, where future specialists are trained for digital business careers. The most important problem of the digital economy of education is accepting the objectivity of risk. The risks of an uncontrolled impact of cyber system and digital platforms on the person are increasing. The growth of risks resulting from the evolving high-tech intellectual platforms is accompanied by the subsequent refusal to study humanitarian problems. The political choice of the education economy model leads to sharp differences in the way higher education institutions are financed. Today digital optimization of the education economy is at the point of bifurcation.
Keywords:digital economics of education, philosophy of education, techno-optimism, techno-pessimism, techno-realism, risk objectivity, transdisciplinarity
- Agar, N. Why Techno-Optimism Is Dangerous, HuffPost, July 31, 2016. Available at: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/nicholas-agar/techno-optimism-dangerous_b_7746682.html (accessed on May 4, 2019).
- Bychkova, O., Zemnukhova, L., Rudenko, N. Tsifrovoi ad, tehnologicheskii rai ili nechto sovershenno inoe: kakie tehnologii opredeliaiut budushhee chelovechestva [Digital Hell, Technological Paradise or Something Completely Different: What Technologies Determine the Future of Mankind], Nozh, October 23, 2018. Available at: https://knife.media/tech-changes/ (accessed on May 3, 2019). (In Russian)
- Eswaran, V. The Case against Techno-pessimism, Politico EU, July 10, 2018. Available at: https://www.politico.eu/article/the-case-against-techno-pessimism/ (accessed on May 4, 2019).
- Frank, D. Techno-Optimist or Techno-Pessimist? Reimagining the Future: A Journey through a Looking Glass, October 10, 2016. Available at: https://frankdiana.net/2016/10/10/techno-optimist-or-techno-pessimist/ (accessed on May 4, 2019).
- Lvova, A. Rob Kitchin: Gorodu prikhoditsia vybirat mezhdu bezdomnymi i datchikom shuma [The City Has to Choose between the Homeless and the Noise Sensor], Strelka Mag, November 8, 2016. Available at: https://strelkamag.com/ru/article/interview-smart-cities(accessed on May 4, 2019). (In Russian)
- Marx, L. The Idea of “Technology” and Postmodern Pessimism, in: Y. Ezrahi, E. Mendelsohn, H. Segal. Technology, Pessimism, and Postmodernism. Sociology of the Sciences, vol 17. Dordrecht: Springer, 1994. Available at: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978–94-011‑0876-8_2 (accessed on May 4, 2019).
- Savin, L. Kibergeopolitika: voprosy ideologii [Cybergeopolitics: Issues of Ideology], Nauchno-issledovatelskii tsentr problem natsionalnoi bezopasnosti [Research Center for National Security], January 18, 2017. Available at: http://nic-pnb.ru/analytics/kibergeopolitika-voprosy-ideologii/ (accessed on May 4, 2019). (In Russian)
- Schmidt, E., Rosenberg, J. Kak rabotaet Google [How Google Works] / transl. from English. Moscow: Eksmo Publ., 2015. 384 pp. (In Russian)
- Smirnova, O.M. Mif o tsifrovoi epokhe ili realnost? Virtualizatsiia kultury: ekzistentsialnye riski i antropologicheskie perspektivy [Virtualization of Culture: Existential Risks and Anthropological Perspectives], Kontury budushhego: tehnologii i innovatsii v kulturnom kontekste [Contours of the Future: Technology and Innovation in a Cultural Context]: Collective monograph. Saint Petersburg: Tsentr nauchno-informatsionnyh tehnologii “Asterion” Publ., 2017, pp. 206–211. (In Russian)
- Vershinina, I.A., Dobrinskaia, D.E. Pax urbanica: goroda v usloviiah globalnoi setevoi tsivilizatsii [Pax Urbanica: Cities in a Global Networked Civilization], Informatsionnoe obshhestvo [Information Society], 2018, no. 1, pp. 25–33. (In Russian)